Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Did you say Candy?

by Diane Forrest,


When my son was small, Friday nights were pizza and movie night.  Every week he would rent the same movies, Peter Pan (with Mary Martin) and Willy Wonka.  My favorite part of Willy Wonka is when all the people go through that little door and end up in the candy wonderland.  Everything there is edible and the kids start running around tasting everything while Gene Wilder sings. Come with me...and you'll be in a world of pure imagination Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

If this is your first time to visit with us, let me tell you, I love chocolate!  So that is my candy of choice, if for some strange reason you don't like chocolate don’t worry, there are many other candies to choose from. 

I remember a scene from It's a Wonderful Life where young George is working in the drug store and Young Violet comes in and asks for a penny's worth of shoelaces, a string type of licorice.  She gets a whole bag full!!!  My how the times have changed!  When I was younger I remember getting those long plastic tubes filled with sugared powder, a giant pixie stix.  They seemed to be as long as I was tall.  We also used to get those wax bottles of coke and bite the top off for a little drop of sugary syrup.  There is a website dedicated to nostalgic candy, it can be found at http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/.  You can even pick the decade you were a kid and order candy from that time.  It is funny, when you are a kid, and have no money, all you want is candy!  But by the time you grow up and have the money, candy isn't as important.   

Another funny thing is that June is National Candy Month, but we are just finding out about it on the 29th!!!  I could have been celebrating all month long instead of just a day!

Another popular fad these days is hosting a candy buffet at wedding receptions.  Brides choose candy in their wedding colors and display them in unique containers and provide bags for their guests to help themselves to.  This is also fun for birthdays, graduations, or other events.

Whatever your candy craving is, take today and indulge.  Just remember, not too much, and make sure you brush your teeth afterwards.  I don’t want to be the cause of contributing to dental cavities or weight gain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...