By Terry Orr
- I didn't just grow up.
- I was taught to speak when I enter a room.
- Say please and thank you, to have respect for my elders and to get off my lazy butt and let the elder in the room have my chair.
- Say 'yes sir' and 'no sir', lend a helping hand to those in need.
- Hold the door for the person behind me, say 'excuse me' when it's needed and to love people for who they are and not for what I can get from them.
- I was also taught to treat people the way I want to be treated.
(And my parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents refreshed my memory if I had forgotten any of the above.)