Friday, February 10, 2012

National Shut-In Visitation Day


(Google Image) 

By Nurse Diane,

When I was in the youth group at my church, we would visit residents at the local nursing home each month.  We would walk around...say hi, then sing a song or two, then leave.  When my son was young I would take him to one of the nursing homes where he would pass out cards he had made.  He loved to visit them and entertain them, and they enjoyed out visits.
(Google Image) 
Later, when I went to work at a nursing home it was painful to see that the majority of the residents had no visitors.  The staff visited with them, and they talked to each other, but those who were not able to leave their rooms to go to the main hall were still without company and companionship.  This fact really hit close to home when my own husband became paralyzed.  The town where we live is not very accessible, and he was limited to where he could go in his wheelchair.  Matters became worse when he was bedridden.  Hundreds of days stuck in the bed with no one to visit him or talk to, except for me.  The occasional visit would brighten his day and fill him with such happiness.

After he passed away last year I began to learn of others who were home bound.  I have since made it a point to go by and visit if only for a few minutes.  I take cookies or soup, some flowers or a book and just let them know that someone is thinking of them, and cares about their well-being.
(Google Image) 
Today is National Shut-In Visitation Day.  If you have a friend or neighbor who is homebound, stop by and say hi, it will only take a few moments out of your day, but will make some person's whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...