Saturday, February 25, 2012

Responsible Pet Owners


Friends Forever
(Google Image)

By Akindman,

PET PROMISE

As a pet owner, I promise:
  • I will never overlook my responsibilities for this living being and recognize that my pet's welfare is totally dependent on me;
  • I will always provide fresh water and quality food for my pet;
  • I will socialize my pet via exposure to new people, places and other pets;
  • I will take pride in my pet's appearance with regular grooming;
  • I will recognize the necessity of basic training by teaching my pet to reliably sit, stay and come when called;
  • I will ensure that the proper amount of exercise and mental stimulation appropriate for my pet's age, breed and energy level is provided;
  • I will ensure that my pet has some form of identification (which may include collar tags, tattoo or microchip ID;
  • I will adhere to local leash laws;
  • You can sign the Pet Promise by going to the AKC site and Responsible Pet Owners Days;
  • It's up to us as responsible pet owners to reach the public and encourage and teach all pet owners on how to ensure happy lives for their pets. We owe our pets the care they deserve and the unconditional love they give to us;
  • The American Veterinary Medical Association Executive Board has compiled their list for responsible pet ownership which we will include here;
  • A commitment to the relationship for the life of the pet;
  • Recognize pet ownership requires an investment of time and money.
  • Keep only the type and number of pets for which an appropriate safe environment can be provided including proper food, water, shelter, health care and companionship;
  • Ensure pets are properly identified (tags, microchips, tattoos) and registration information on databases is kept up-to-date;
  • Adhere to local ordinances including licensing and leash requirements;
  • Control reproductions through managed breeding - containment, spay/neuter;
  • Establish and maintain a veterinarian-client-pet relationship;
  • Provide preventive (vaccinations, parasite control) and therapeutic health care for the life of pets in consultation with and as recommended by the veterinarian;
  • Socialization and proper training for pets which facilitates their well-being and the well-being of other animals and people;
  • Prevent pets from negatively impacting other animals, people, and the environment by proper waste control, noise control and not allowing pets to stray or become feral;
  • Provide exercise and mental stimulation appropriate to the pet's age, breed and health status;
  • Advance preparation to ensure the pet’s well-being in case of an emergency or disaster including assembling an evacuation kit;
  • Make an alternative arrangement if caring for the pet is no longer possible; and
  • Recognize declines in the pet's quality of life and make decisions in consultation with a veterinarian regarding end-of-life care (palliative care, hospice, euthanasia).

Be One!!
(Google Image)

I encourage you to consider having a playmate for your pet – it does make a difference!
(Google Image) 

Good links:

Showing him how to care for his pet
(Google Image)

Post It!
(Google Image) 

Having Fun
(Google Image) 

Friends Gathering
(Google Image) 

Happy Playmates
(Google Image)

Exercise and Play Time
(Google Image)

What's going on?
(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...