Monday, March 12, 2012

Girl Scout Birthday


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be:
Honest and fair,
Friendly and helpful,
Considerate and caring,
Courageous and strong, and
Responsible for what I say and do,
And to respect myself and others,
Respect authority,
Use resources wisely,
Make the world a better place, and
Be a sister to every Girl Scout.

Girl Scout Slogan
Do a good turn daily.
(Google Image)

Last month I told you about Robert Baden-Powell and his wife over in England.  He is the founder of the Boy Scouts.  A year after the Boy Scouts started, Juliette Gordon Low, from Savannah, Georgia went to England and met with the Baden-Powell’s to talk about an organization for Girls. When she returned home from her trip she made her historic telephone call to a distant cousin, saying, "I've got something for the girls of Savannah, and all of America, and all the world, and we're going to start it tonight!".  The Girl Scouts were born.  This took place 100 years ago today.  Since that time they have seen many changes, had many members, and have grown worldwide.

(Google Image)

There are 3 different groups of Girl Scouts.  The age 7 to 9 year olds are called Brownie, Intermediates from age 10 to 13, and seniors from ages 14 to 18.
The Girl Scouts are very popular this time of year with thousands of young ladies selling their delicious cookies for fund raisers for projects throughout the year.  So today, on the Girl Scout's birthday, why not try a box of thin mints...or your favorite flavor from one of the young scouts in your area.

(Google Image)

There's something in my pocket
It belongs across my face
And I keep it very close at hand
In a very convenient place

I’m Sure you couldn't guess it
If you guessed a long long while
So I'll take it out and put it on

It's a great big brownie smile!*
* Brownie Scout song learned by Brownie Diane during her time in the scout organization

(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...