Tuesday, March 27, 2012

National Joe Day


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

As I was looking over the month's assignments, I checked out March 27th first.  That is my father's birthday, and I wanted to see what other occasions were celebrated on that day.  The first thing I saw was National Joe Day.  I was curious about it because I have a great friend named Joe.  After doing some research on the day I learned that National Joe Day is a day where everyone can change their name to Joe for the day.  So I thought about it, why would someone want to change their name to Joe?  I looked up the meaning of Joe, or Joseph.  It means he will add, or enlarge.  Then I thought about Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus.  What a wonderful man he must have been.  Imagine, here is this young man, engaged to a young girl.  He imagines their future together.  Then out of the blue she is pregnant.  He had not had intimate relations with her, that sort of thing wasn't done back then, so he knows he isn't the father of her baby.  Can you just imagine what he must have thought?  Consider this day and age, if your fiancé came to you and said she was pregnant, how would you handle it?

Joseph was child of God, when the angel visited him and explained that Mary was having God's son, he supported her, believed in her and stayed by her side, ignoring all the gossip that must have surrounded him.  He married Mary, raised Jesus as his own, taught him his trade, the skills of a carpenter, and provided for his family.

(Google Image)  
This made me think of my friend Joe.  He is also a child of God, a carpenter, and a supportive man that provides for his family.  He recently turned 74, and he amazes me every day.  He is constantly learning and trying new things.  He is very interested in the country's politics, not only the current races, but his knowledge of past elections not only in this country, but other country's leaders would make any history teacher envious. He recently started an exercise program at his local YMCA that would put younger men to shame.  He owns his business, and continues to work every day along with his sons.
(Google Image)  
Even though he works daily and exercises most days, he still makes time to spend with his family and friends.  He regularly visits friends in the nursing homes, making sure they have the things they need, and he spends time with his grandchildren, teaching them to read and learn new things.  There are days when he wants to stay in bed and sleep, but he pushes himself up and gets moving to continue to keep in good health to be able to provide for and support his family.  Even while doing all of this, he still makes time for me, keeping me company so that I am not alone.
(Google Image)  
I'm sure many of you have a "Joe" in your life.  Someone you can look to and think, I want to be like him". Someone who makes you want to be a better person.  So, today, on National Joe Day, I wanted to show my appreciation for Joe, and would be honored to be called Joe for a day.  Here are some other famous Joe's:
  • Jo
  • Mighty Joe Young
  • Joe Six Pack
  • Joe Camel
  • Joe Montana
  • Joe Biden
  • Joe Cool
  • Joe Lieberman
  • Trader Joe's
  • GI Joe
  • Joe Jackson
  • Joe Dowdle
  • Shoeless Joe Jackson
  • Joe Mauer
  • Joe Mantegna
  • Joe Palca
  • Joe DiMaggio
  • Joe Namath
  • Joe Theismann
  • Country Joe McDonald
  • Joe Strummer
  • Joe Jonas
  • Joe Louis
  • Joe Spano
  • Joe Satriani
  • Philly Joe Jones
  • Joe Cocker
  • Joe the Plumber
  • Joe Torre
  • Joe Frazier
  • Joe Flacco
  • Joe Stevenson
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Joe Calzaghe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...