|Cute couple enjoying their walk|
After meeting with my dietitians/nutritionist (Mary) a few years ago, the topic of walking more each day as part of my daily routine so I purchased one of many pedometers since then. I track how many steps taken each day and enter that number into my tracking worksheet.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator;
- Walk to the store;
- Window shop at the mall;
- Leave your desk and visit your co-worker instead of sending him an email.
|Good shoes help|
Some benefits from walking:
- Lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, colon cancer and diabetes;
- An opportunity to clear your mind (some days I take two or three);
- Allows you to look for something beautiful (I take pictures some days – flowers, birds, etc);
- Spring and Fall are my favorite times of year to walk outdoors;
- Helps you handle stress;
- Helps you feel more energetic; and
- Improves your self-esteem.
How do you add walking into your daily routine? What benefits additional benefits do you get from walking?