Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Springtime



“It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”~Mark Twain



Why do we love springtime?  What makes this time of the year special for you?  Is it that ole man winter is finally getting ready to leave and warmer weather is coming?  Is it the first sighting of a Robin, looking for worms or something else to eat?  Or is it seeing the Gold Finches returning to the bird feeders?  Might be the buds on your plants or flowers?  Maybe it’s the young chicks squawking at their parents for food?  Or the simple beautify of your surroundings.



"If you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment."  O'Keefe, Georgia

Today, our landscaping crew is doing the annual Spring Clean Up – fallen branches from the storms of past, leaves that remain from the fall, picking up the old mulch and replacing it with new.  Giving the plants, shrubs, trees and flowers that little extra TLC so they can grow healthy and true.  I sit in my chair, typing away on this keyboard, knowing they will do a wonderful job, like they always do.  We are so blessed with kindness and beauty this spring.



"Where flowers bloom so does hope."  - Lady Bird Johnson

It is also America’s favorite past time has finally arrived, to call of “Play Ball”, starts again tomorrow afternoon, the crowd cheers as their team takes the field for a fresh new season, full of hope and dreams.  Play ball”.

I cheer for the home teams in our area, we have four in all, two major league and two minor league teams, but to watch a good baseball game is really all that I desire, win, lose or draw – a good game is a good game and you have gotten your money’s worth, enjoyed the day, the fellowship of the fans, those vendors selling popcorn, hot dogs, ice cold drinks, peanuts, cotton candy and a variety of other non-healthy foods.  But really folks, lets face it; a good ballpark dog is part of the show – and hard to repeat their special taste at home.  It is not uncommon to find me parked somewhere watching kids play this game, without a clue who the players are, much less the teams.  For it is the game itself that draws my attention, and perhaps remembering those days, long gone by, that Dad, would be with us, watching games, ours or someone else, just enjoying the game and thankful for sharing it with others who you cared about.

"Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" ~ Robin Williams

I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.  ~Ruth Stout

2 comments:

  1. Having been born in Missouri, of course, I am a St.Louis Cardinal fan. GO CARDS!!
    I love the spring of the year and baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring too..I have been doing my annual yard clean up...I live around people who have lots of trees....so my yard is always full of leaves....takes a while, but it always looks so good when everything is clean and fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...