By Diane Forrest
I have always heard you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but who wants to catch flies? What this means is you will have more friends by being nice. It's just as easy and makes the world a better place to live if you are nice to everyone. A great time to be extra nice is today, National Common Courtesy Day. Some things you can do today to be Courteous are:
- Say hello to everyone with a smile
- Hold the door open for the next person
- If people around you are trying to hear something, such as a movie, etc, be quite. If you must speak, keep your voice down.
- If you have extra cookies or cupcakes, share some with your neighbors
- If you ride the train, subway or bus, offer to give your seat to an elderly or handicapped or pregnant person
- Don’t forget to say Please and Thank You, especially to servers who are waiting on you
- Be considerate of those around you, if you are able, help someone in need, such as helping someone load groceries to their car, or helping an elderly person cross the street
One of my favorite children’s songs is from the Big Purple Dinosaur, Barney, where he sings about saying “Please and Thank You.” You can hear it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3CgwV3o7AM
It doesn't cost a dime to be courteous, and the payback you get is fantastic. Instead of having a Common Courtesy Day, I think we should make it a Common Courtesy Year, or even a Common Courtesy Life!
(All images from Google)