When I first read this one, it stopped me in my tracks a bit. In todays cyber explosion, cell phone, chats, face-to-face, skype, and all the other means of communications, if folks are doing that, are they active in their communities? Church?
After a few minutes of thinking about this, I got my trusty pencil and a pad of paper and started jotting things down off the top of my head. What social connections am I making now that I am retired?
- I spend more time talking with folks in the stores, post office, shops, etc
- I’ve gotten to know the folks who take good care of me at the various restaurants
- I send more emails, chat all to often, and call more folks
- Taking more time to visit others in different cities
- Spending more time with family and friends
Providing information, instrumental help, emotional support, and offering a sense of belonging were the key benefits from the article on WebMD.
How do you make social connections?