Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pina Colada Day!!!

By Diane Forrest

On a scorching day like today, what could be better than laying back on a chaise lounge, under an umbrella by the beach, sipping on a frosty pina colada?

I love the tropics, the sounds of the waves crashing against the shores, the calls of the sea gulls as they fly in search of food, and the smell of pineapples and coconut.  Listening to the far off sounds of a Jamaican band playing while sipping on a frozen pina colada would just be a perfect day for me.

The pina colada hasn't been around all that long, with the first mention of it in 1950.  In 1978, it became the official drink of Puerto Rico.  It is a light rum based drink made with pineapple juice and coconut cream.  It can be served over ice, or blended with ice until slushed.

There are many ways to make a pina colada, however the original recipe by the proclaimed inventor is:
  • Pour 3 ounces of coconut cream, 6 ounces of pineapple juice and 1 1/2 ounces of white rum into a blender or shaker with crushed ice, and blend or shake very well until smooth. Pour into chilled glass, garnish with pineapple wedge and/or a maraschino cherry.


You can also find mixes at your grocery store or liquer store.  Since I am constantly striving to bring you the most current, accurate information possible, and will go to any lengths to research for my articles, I put myself on the line once again to try a new pina colada recipe.  Nothing but the best for you guys!  As I was driving through town I saw a large sign that flashed in neon letters, Frozen Pina Coladas!  So, only in thoughts of my research did I stop to try one. It was pretty good, sweet, frozen, a little tangy, the only problem I could find with it was there was not one drop of rum!  You see, it was a new drink from Taco Bell.
So, today, on Pina Colada day, you can feel free to celebrate with an ice cold drink with, or without rum.  In the words of Rupert Holmes' "Escape"

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...