Today is National Creamsicle Day, well here we call them dreamsicles. These are made by covering a block of ice cream on a stick, with popsicle flavors. Its like 2 treats in one, ice cream and popsicles. They are a great treat on a hot day like today, I keep a box of them in my freezer. Of course today, you are not just limited to the frozen treat. There is an ice cold drink that my cousin Loves called the dreamsicle. Here is the recipe for it:
- Fill a mixing cup with 1/2 way with ice.
- 1/2 oz. Vodka or Orange Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Triple Sec
- 1 oz. Orange Juice
- 1 oz. Cream
- Shake all ingredients well and strain into a cocktail glass.
Use a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of cream & ice, and you've got a Dreamsicle. Serve in a large stem or hurricane glass. YUM!
There is also a creamsicle Pie that is delicious...and here is the recipe for it, and it only takes about 10 minutes to make, but has to chill for about 3 hours, so make it early in the day if you plan to have it for dinner.:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (3 ounce) box orange flavored jello
- 2 (6 ounce) graham cracker crust
- Soften cream cheese at room temperature starting a couple hours before making your pies; the cream cheese must be super soft in order to avoid lumps in the pie filling.
- Blend cream cheese and frozen whipped topping well; add orange juice and beat with mixer until very creamy; stir in pudding then gelatin and blend well.
- Divide filling between graham crusts; chill at least 3 hours before serving.
So which ever form you choose to celebrate Creamsicle day you can't go wrong!