Wednesday, December 26, 2012

National Thank You Note Day


(Google Image)
By Diane Forrest

When I was just a young girl, every time I received a gift, my mother made me write a thank you note.  This was a task I despised doing, especially after Christmas, it was like doing homework during my vacation.  As I grew older, I understood the importance of a thank you note when I started giving gifts.  When you look at it as someone who loves you, thought enough about you to go out to a store, look for something you would like, purchase it, give it to you, wrapped or not.  Those actions need to be acknowledged.
(Google Image)
Some major Thank you note occasions are graduation gifts, wedding/engagement gifts, new baby, birthday, and Christmas.  I remember reading a letter to Dear Abby a while back.  It was from a disgruntled grandmother, who sent her grandchildren gifts, but never received acknowledgement.  Her solution to the problem was to give a gift of thank you notes so maybe they would get the idea.
(Google Image)
My stepsons are notorious for not sending thank you notes, not only do they not send a note, text or email, but I never even get a notification that the gift was even received.  Since I have to mail gifts to them, I want to make sure they get them.  So, I will wait a week then ask if they got whatever I sent.  They usually do, but one time my stepson never got his birthday present.  That happened to be the only time I purchased insurance for a gift, but was till refused reimbursement, because their records showed that it had been delivered.

Last week when I went to my father's for our daily viewing of Judge Judy, He gave me a block of cheese.  His neighbor, who frequently joins us, was also present, and I assumed that he was the one who gifted me the cheese.  I was just about to write a note, when I learned that another person had provided the gift. I like to write a note as soon as I get a gift, mainly so I don't forget about it.  However, you do have a grace period after receiving wedding, graduation or any large gift getting occasions.   Two years ago my cousin was married in July.  I sent her a wedding gift, and received a thank you note in December that included a thank you for the wedding gift, Christmas gift, and the Christmas gift for the previous year as well as a sympathy note for the loss of my husband.  I’m not sure what Mrs. Manners would say about that, but I was just thrilled that she remembered.
(Google Image)
I have received a few gifts already, so while today is National Thank You Note Day, take this time to write a note, send a text or email, and acknowledge the gifts you have received, before you forget too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...