Monday, December 24, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Day




(Google Image)
By Chef Diane

I normally eat one piece of pumpkin pie a year, after Thanksgiving dinner.  However, this year was different.  My mother, who is not a fan of pumpkin pie, had one there for dinner, but my son, who had recently started a new job had to provide a dessert for his work's bi-weekly pot luck lunch the next day.  My mother offered the pumpkin pie, but when she went in to check the dessert table, other guests had already cut into the pie.  My mother, not to be deterred, wrapped up the remaining half and sent it off with my son, and I was left without my annual piece of pie.  5 weeks later, and I still miss that pie!!
(Google Image)
As luck would have it, today is National Pumpkin Pie day, so I have another chance this year to have a piece.  If your family serves it for Christmas dinner, then you are in luck.  Hopefully you still have some left over.  If not, here is a simple recipe to make one yourself from allrecipes.com, or you can head to your grocery's freezer and pick up a frozen one.
(Google Image)
Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Cooked, strained pumpkin(or canned)
2/3 cup Sugar
¼ cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cups Evaporated Skim Milk
3 Eggs
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon    Grated Orange Peel
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Unbaked Pie Shell

How to Make Traditional Pumpkin Pie:
1.         Preheat oven to 425 degree.
2.         Mix pumpkin, sugars, orange peel and spices in large bowl.
3.         Add evaporated milk and eggs.
4.         Mix all ingredients well
5.         Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell.
6.         Bake at 450 degrees for fifteen minutes.
7.         Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes more.


(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...