Sunday, May 12, 2013

Family Month



By Diane Forrest
I recently celebrated a milestone birthday...I had been receiving threats from my cousins for a "payback” for my treatment of them for their milestone birthdays.  When my younger cousin turned 40, I started 40 days before her big day, and began sending her things with skull and crossbones on it, vulture’s black roses and other party fun.  Two years later, I repeated the fun when my older cousin turned 50.   He lives in Texas, so I hadn't seen him in 30 years, so wasn't sure how he would take my good-natured ribbing, and for the past couple of years I have thrown in a few jabs here and there.

As the time approached for my special day, I had not received any skulls, tombstones or any other references to being at death's door, and was actually a little disappointed that their payback was somewhat lacking.  Unbeknownst to me, the two of them had been scheming together for the past year planning efforts to really "get me".

Last Saturday, I was at my parent's home waiting to go out to a birthday lunch with my aunt and uncle, when a surprise visitor appeared.  It was the grim reaper showing up to take me to the other side!!!  He was dressed all in black from head to toe, and I just assumed it was my cousin's husband, but in fact it was my long lost cousin from Texas whom I haven't seen in 30 years!  It was a wonderful surprise...and a fantastic payback!  We all spent the weekend together; almost my entire family, and it couldn't have been more fantastic, well unless the rest of the family was there too.

May is National Family Month.  It starts on Mother's day, and ends with Father's day.  What a great time to get together with some of your family.  You don't have to have a big blow out like I did, but you never know how much you miss seeing your family, until you get together again.  So this month - set aside a few days to spend time with your children, siblings, parents, aunts uncles, cousins - everyone you can.  You will love it and so will they!!
(All images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...