Monday, July 2, 2012

Compliment your Mirror Day


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

So today is Compliment your Mirror Day.  After researching this subject, it was explained that it’s not the mirror to be complimented, but the reflection in the mirror.  I have never been one of those people who constantly gaze into a mirror to check themselves out.  I know some of those people....who have to look at every mirror and even carry one with them at all times.  It reminds me of the song, "You're So Vain".

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't You?
Front Door Mirror
I took some pictures of some of my special mirrors, so I would like to compliment them.  My favorite is a mirror that I have by my front door.  It has a marble shelf that allows me to put little nic nacs on.  I change them every season, and as you can see, I have my patriotic things on it now.  I have witches for Halloween, Pilgrims for Thanksgiving, Santa’s for Christmas, and snowmen for winter, and bunnies for Easter, and birds for in between times.  My next favorite mirror is hanging by my back door.  I use this mirror to check my appearance before heading out, to make sure my hair is not standing up on ends, and that I don’t have any chocolate on my face.  It belonged to my mother in law, and sits in a simple old wooden frame.  Across the top are some magnolia stems that were used to decorate at my wedding, and every time I look at it I am reminded of that wonderful day.
Diane's Oval Mirror
Another favorite mirror is an oval shaped mirror that is hanging on my bedroom wall.  This was the first large mirror that I ever bought.  I remember when I bought it I felt so grown up.  The last favorite mirror on my list is another large mirror that I bought to hang in my bathroom.  When my husband and I moved here, the bathroom was very small, so a new bathroom had to be built to accommodate him in his wheelchair. This was my first attempt at interior design, and I wanted it to be perfect for my husband.  An ordinary bathroom mirror would simply not do.  I went to an antique store that was going out of business, and found this beautiful mirror that was more than half price off the original price. I bought it at once and brought it home and the contractors hung it and turned a handicap accessible bathroom into a more special place.
Bathroom Mirror
Mirrors are necessary to check our appearance, but they are also useful in boosting our self-esteem.  One of my favorite pictures is the one of the cat looking into the mirror, and sees the lion looking back.  So today, when you look at your reflection in the mirror put a big smile on your face and compliments your mirror for displaying this beautiful person.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...