Thursday, November 22, 2012

Celebrating National Espresso Day

(Google Image)

By Diane Forrest

Here in the south it has been unusually cold.  I am normally not a coffee drinker, but I have found myself fixing coffee more and more in the mornings.  Not only does it heat me up, but gives me a little extra boost in the mornings to keep me busy instead of hibernating as I want.
(Google Image) 
In 1901 Luigi Bezzera in Italy must have had the same idea.  His workers wanted to drink coffee, to warm up and give them a little boost, but he calculated they were taking too much time on their coffee breaks.  He invented this machine that would force the water through the finely ground coffee giving them more of a kick, in less amount of coffee, so they could go back to work faster.  His invention also allowed the coffee to be prepared faster, and at a cup at a time.  According to punchbowl.com, Bezzera’s patent was sold in 1903 to Desidero Pavoni who began commercially producing and distributing the espresso machine throughout Europe.  These machines are now so affordable that people can have one at home, as well as their favorite coffee shop.
(Google Image) 
Today is National Espresso Day.  I have an Italian friend who loves to drink one with a piece of biscotti.  So if you want to warm up quick, have a steaming hot cup of espresso  a cookie or piece of pie or cake, and relax and think about Italy and Luigi Bezzera who made this day possible.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...