Saturday, November 3, 2012

It is Cliché' Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

I was raised to always tell my host that I enjoyed my meal.  Not only did I let them know that I enjoyed it, I added a little something extra to my thanks.  I said it so often; I never even thought anything of it until one night at my mothers.  After clearing the table, I told my mother thank you for my dinner, I enjoyed it, then I added my "it was delicious and nutritious."  After that remark my son and his wife broke into laughter, as he reached for his wallet and handed her a dollar bill.  A questioning look from me received an explanation that they had made a bet that I would add my delicious and nutritious phrase, and there was a slight concern after there was a long pause after I said delicious. However, after it was spoken, a dollar was passed to his wife, and I was aware of my cliché'.

A cliché' as defined by the dictionary, is a phrase or expression that is over used outside of its original context.  Some examples of a cliché are:
  • The check is in the mail;
  • Come hell or high water;
  • Damned if you do, damned if you don't; and
  • When pigs fly.

(Google Image) 
I remember watching Bill Cosby when he put on a one man performance.  He was talking about his brother, Russell.  He was with his brother, as his mom was berating them over something, and his mother let out the phrase…I’m just sick... to which he brother replied...and tired!!!  While his mother was not amused at him finished her sentence, she realized that she must have used that cliché' more than once.

Another phrase I hear alot is "all fair in love and war."  I hear this alot because it is used in the movie It's a Wonderful Life, a movie that I watch alot.  George says it to his mother to which she replies. .well I don't know about war.
(Google Image) 
Another type of cliché’s is used alot in movies, such as in horror movies, when the young girl goes into the basement in the dark, or kidnapping the love interest in a movie. In fact there are several cliché’s found in movies and television shows, that you almost know what is going to happen before it does.

Today is Cliché' Day.  So if you don't have a good one of your own, you can try this site, that will help you with the perfect cliché' http://www.westegg.com/cliche/random.cgi .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...