It's National Bath Safety Month! Splish Splash: Take a Safe Bath
It may be cold, the kids may be home, and all you want to do is relax. How about taking a bubble bath? Jan. 8 is National Bubble Bath Day, part of National Bath Safety Month. The goal: to reduce the nearly 43,000 bathtub injuries that occur every year in the United States.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that people take the following tips to make your bathroom safe:
- Never, for any reason, leave a child unattended around any amount of water. Even a small amount can pose a safety threat.
- Baby bath seats don't take the place of supervision. Do not leave a child in a bath tub seat unattended.
- Use a toilet seat lock in the bathroom
If you have an elderly or disabled person living with you, the AARP recommends you take these precautions:
- Install grab bars for the toilet, shower, and tub
- Install nonskid tile or use non-skid bath mats
- Set the water heater at a low setting to prevent scalds
Ever sneeze while taking a shower? Most of us have at one time or another – and having a grab bar nearby sure is helpful.