Thursday, April 14, 2011

Moment of Laughter Day


April 14, 2011 is International Moment of Laughter Day


International Moment of Laughter Day is certainly a day to put a smile on your face! Today is a day to laugh loudly and laugh often. Watch a funny movie, read an amusing book, or just be silly with your friends. It is not the cause of the laughter that matters… but the effect.

Researchers have begun to examine positive emotions and their impact on a person's health and aging process. Based on the results from a scientific study at the University of Maryland Medical Center, laughter may give a jolt to circulation and have positive effects on the heart. In addition, laughter may increase the body's production of nitric oxide (a chemical that helps dilate blood vessels).

All of these positive impacts on your health are reason enough to laugh not just today, but every day! So go ahead and be silly and laugh at your own jokes. And don't forget that laughter is contagious!

 
The Benefits of Laughter

Physical Health Benefits:
Mental Health Benefits:
Social Benefits:



Boosts immunity
Adds joy and zest to life
Strengthens relationships
Lowers stress hormones
Eases anxiety and fear
Attracts others to us
Decreases pain
Relieves stress
Enhances teamwork
Relaxes your muscles
Improves mood
Helps defuse conflict
Prevents heart disease
Enhances resilience
Promotes group bonding

All of these positive impacts on your health are reason enough to laugh not just today, but every day! So go ahead and be silly and laugh at your own jokes. And don't forget that laughter is contagious!

Here are a few – mixed reviews – but a starting  point – please feel free to share other jokes with us.

All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.
~ Charlie Chaplin

Total absence of humor renders life impossible. ~ Colette

Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain. ~ Edward De Bono

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It is already tomorrow in Australia.  ~Charles Schulz

I have six locks on my door all in a row.  When I go out, I lock every other one.  I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.  ~Elayne Boosler

Murphy was an optimist.  ~O'Toole's Commentary

The Pope flew into an airport for a meeting within a few minutes. His limo driver takes off and the Pope needs him to go faster in order to get to his meeting. The Pope asks the driver to switch places and the Pope will drive. They take off again and the limo is stopped by a cop. The cop takes one look at the situation and radios to headquarters. He tells the chief he's got a pretty important person on his hands. The chief asks "Is he more important than the mayor?" Cop says yes. Chief asks “Is he more important than the governor?" Cop says yes. Chief asks "Is he more important than the President?" Cop says yes. Chief asks "How important can he be" Cop says "I don't know, but he's got the Pope for a driver.

What's the difference between Roast beef and Pea soup? Most people can roast beef.

Did you hear about the dyslexic lawyer who studied all year for the bra exam?

These two cannibals were eating a clown when one of them looks at the other and asks "does this taste kinda funny to you?"

A couple of New Jersey hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing; his eyes are rolled back in his head. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps to the operator: “My friend is dead! What can I do?”

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: “Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead.” There is a silence, and then a shot is heard.

The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: “OK, now what?“

This woman rushed to see her doctor, looking very much worried and all strung out. She rattles off: “Doctor, take a look at me. When I woke up this morning, I looked at myself in the mirror and saw my hair all wiry and frazzled up, my skin was all wrinkled and pasty, my eyes were bloodshot and bugging out, and I had this corpse-like look on my face! What's WRONG with me, Doctor!?”

The doctor looks her over for a couple of minutes, and then calmly says: “Well, I can tell you that there ain't nothing wrong with your eyesight....” 

A general noticed one of his soldiers behaving oddly. The soldier would pick up any piece of paper he found, frown and say: “That's not it” and put it down again. This went on for some time, until the general arranged to have the soldier psychologically tested. The psychologist concluded that the soldier was deranged, and wrote out his discharge from the army.

The soldier picked it up, smiled and said: “That's it.”

Two guys are sitting on a bar stool. One starts to insult the other one. He screams, “I slept with your mother!” The bar gets quiet as everyone listens to see what the other weasel will do. The first again yells, “I SLEPT WITH YOUR MOTHER!”

The other says, “Go home dad you’re drunk.” 

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. It is much easier to laugh than to cry. Much easier on the makeup too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...