Thursday, April 21, 2011

Old Fashion Easter

by Diane Forrest, RN


I love doing things for my family, sending surprises at holidays, and sometimes just out of the blue.  Nowadays it’s hard to do something for folks because of high costs.  Now if you just have one or two, it’s not so bad.  I have 2 parents, 1 son and his wife, 4 stepsons, their wives and 2 step grandkids.  Then there are my husband’s aunts, 4 of them, along with my aunts and uncles, 3 sets there.  A couple of cousins and their families thrown in, and don't forget about your neighbors!

This year I had a choice.  Either don't do anything for anyone, or cut costs and make something from my home and heart.  Guess which one I chose?  As I sit here writing this I feel as if I am channeling Martha Stewart.  Don’t worry....I’m not that domestic, or creative.  Other thoughts are flowing through my mind like Julie Andrews singing the song "A few of My Favorite Things" from the movie The Sound of Music.  Brown paper packages tied up with string.  Or the movie "Smoky Mountian Christmas" with Dolly Parton.  Simple things bring more pleasure.  To me, part of the gift is the time you spend on it.  My husband and I both treasured each greeting card we got, and keep them all.  My husband would spend several minutes looking at cards when he was able. 


He wanted to pick just the right one that said what he was thinking or how he was feeling.  My father built me a beautiful box from a heart shape quilt rack my husband had made.  I put all his cards that I had gotten over the years and put them in the box - that is full.  When he became bedridden he was the most depressed around holidays and occasions because he couldn’t go out and buy me a card.    I simply gave him some paper and pens, and told him to make his own card.  I love each and every one of them, and have them taped around my desk so I can read them all the time. 


So, as I thought about the gift I would send to my family, I thought about cookies.  Around Christmas, after my husband passed away, I started baking cookies to get through the day.  I made Christmas cookies, then in January I made anniversary cookies for my parents, then Shamrocks for St, Patrick's day, so now bunnies and Easter Eggs for Easter.  I know...you are thinking...what about Valentines Day.  Well...I thought I would make cupcakes....Big Mistake!  They don't mail well at all!!!

This year started small, was just gonna make some cards.  I have a print shop program that has some great Victorian pictures.  I love Victorian stuff!  So I picked out a picture, then added some ribbon, and as a fancy little touch sprayed them with a splash of glitter glue.  I thought they turned out cute...but then I thought about treats for the kids.  I found some cute bunny cutters on ebay, and I already had a 0 from my parent's anniversary cookies, so I used those to make the egg cookies.    I have a great recipe for tea cakes. so in just a hop skip and a jump I had made the cutest little cookies.  I had found cupcake boxes at Oriental Trading with spring designs, so I used those to put the cookies in.

I think its just a nice, fun, inexpensive way to let someone know you are thinking of them.  Hope you have a wonderful Easter!



Tea Cake Cookies
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 3/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt



Preheat oven to 350F.


Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time.  I do this in the kitchen aid mixer and just let it keep running.  Then add vanilla.  Mix the last 3 ingredients’ together and add it slowly to sugar mixture.  When mixed, take half the mixture and put on the counter.  I lay wax paper down then sprinkle it with flour so the dough doesn't stick.  Sprinkle flour on top of the dough, and then rub some on the rolling pin.  Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick.  Then cut with your desired shape.  Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 mins. 
Allow to cool, then decorate as desired.  If the dough gets sticky, keep sprinkling with flour.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing. I love the simpleness of the recipe toon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should read 'too' instead of toon. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth, I have made these cookies for years...and used to just sprinkle sugar on them before baking, but this past Christmas I discovered Betty Crocker cookie icing! Its great! comes in a squeezable tube, and dries real fast.So it doesnt get messy.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...