Tuesday, April 26, 2011

National Pretzel Day

April 26, 2011 is
National Pretzel Day



Pretzels are a tasty treat with a rich history. Did you know that pretzels were invented by monks? The monks often used the loops and knots inside of pretzels to help children understand the Christian Trinity of "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." During the 17th century in Switzerland, pretzels were also used to symbolize the marriage bond. This is where the phrase “tying the knot” originated. Today, pretzels are a popular snack around the world.

One of my favorites ...
While soft pretzels have gained enormous popularity at sporting events, carnivals, and festivals, the hard pretzel has evolved over time. Hard pretzels were invented in the late 1600’s when a Pennsylvania baker forgot about a batch of pretzels in the oven. Though these pretzels seemed inedible because they were dark and hard, they were actually quite delicious! Hard pretzels soon became a wild success across country.

Tempting aren't they .... go ahead, have one

To celebrate National Pretzel Day, try making some delicious homemade pretzels with your favorite toppings. Some suggestions are: cinnamon and sugar, salt, or chocolate glaze. Enjoy!
[from our friends at punchbowl.com - once I figure out how to install widgets...]


Which one...they all look good.
I love a good pretzel, but only eat the salt/sodium reduced/free one's and they are always a special treat for me, especially on a trip.

Man serious about his pretzel
What kind of pretzels do you like?  Do you have anything special with your pretzel? Share your stories about pretzels.

4 comments:

  1. Well I have lived a sheltered life. I never even knew they made soft pretzels until I was in my 30's! In fact, I have only had about 2 or 3 in my life. But now the hard kind, well I used them every year at Christmas when I make my "trash" or chex mix. I also dip them in chocolate and cover them in sprinkles and wrap them up for my mom. That take a little time...but its worth it to see her happy little face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never eat pretzels because of the high sodium content. I do like the taste of them though. Probably the best way to eat a pretzel is in a handful of chex mix. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane and Beth,
    Thank you both for your comments. I don't get to enjoy as much as I used to for health reasons like Beth, but a couple times a year, find those reduced sodium and no salt pretzels and enjoy a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is faaaaaaaatttttttt

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...