Today we celebrate Canada Day. Canada is a North American Country that borders the United States and the Atlantic Ocean. It is also the second largest country in the world.
Canada is under Queen Elizabeth's rule, but also has a Prime Minister, and Parliament. The languages spoken are French and English, and are protected by the county Mounties. My first recollections of Canada would have to be Dudley Do Right, in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.
Canada is known for its cold weather and winter sports. It is home to Niagara Falls, and has the reputation for being a clean, eco-friendly country. I visited Canada a few years ago...well..ok it was at Epcot, but they had a nice sampling of Canadian symbols including the Maple leaf flag and authentic county Mountie.
Some famous Canadians include:
- Pam Anderson
- Michael J. Fox
- John Candy
- Dan Ackroid
- Jim Carrey
- Wayne Gretzky
- Howie Mandel
- William Shatner
- Justin Beiber
- to name a few
So..in honor of Canada, sing a round of "Oh Canada", have some pancakes with Maple Syrup, and watch Back to the Future or Liar Liar, or some Star Trek episodes.
Top Ten Canadian Complaints Against Americans
- Won't acknowledge enormous cultural contributions of Howie Mandel.
- We're pretty sure they're holding Wayne Gretzky down there against his will.
- Every time we mention the city "Regina," they won't stop giggling.
- Incredibly, they only have one word for "snow"
- In American encyclopedias, Canada is often called "North Dakota's gay neighbor"
- They call it American cheese, even though it was invented by Canadian superstar Gordon Lightfoot
- They've never even heard of our most popular superhero, Captain Saskatchewan
- Two words: "Weird Al"
- Get all confused when we ask a question that ends with "eh?"
- Not enough guys named "Gordie"
- What is the largest country in the world?
- In the cartoon series Dudley Do-Right Show, who was the arch villain?
- What was the name of Dudley's Horse?
- What was the name of his romantic flame?