Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chocolate Eclairs - Yummm

Got Milk?


Ever since I got my first Easy Bake Oven I have loved baking tasty treats for my family.  When I turned 15 I got an electric cookie press for Christmas.  Not only could it make all kinds of delicately shaped cookies, but there was also a recipe book that included recipes for all kinds of different treets from appetizers to desserts.   The very first thing I tried was the Chocolate Eclair recipe ( I never did make any cookies with that press).   I think I picked this recipe to try because it was French, and sounded so exotic, and of course it had chocolate!  Even though it is an exotic French pastry, it is really simple to make, and you don't even need any special tools to make them.  Here is the recipe I have used since my very first batch, I hope you give it a try today on Chocolate Eclair Day and Enjoy!

Eclairs:
Shell:
1 stick butter (real butter)
1 cup water
1 cup all purpose flour
6 eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium saucepan bring water and butter to full boil.  Remove from heat.  Add flour and mix well and let cool slightly.  Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each egg.  Spoon mixture in the shape of a finger onto a cookie sheet.  Remember they will double in size so keep that in mind as you spread them out.  Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 and bake another 45 minutes.  Allow to cool.
Filling:

Some people like a cream type filling, I prefer pudding.  Since it is a French dessert, I use French Vanilla instant pudding, but regular vanilla is just as good too.  Mix according to directions and let sit in refridgerator while eclair shells are baking.   When cooked, take the shell, cut a slit down the side with a sharp knife and spoon the pudding in.

Chocolate Glaze
 2 1oz squares of unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups powedered sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Melt Chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat, removed and stir in sugar and milk.  Mix well until smooth and drizzle over éclairs immediately, it sets up pretty fast.

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...