Thursday, June 16, 2011

National Fudge Day

by Diane Forrest



I just love days like today, not only do I get to write about chocolate, which as many of you know is one of my favorite things...but I also get an excellent excuse to indulge in my passion!  Of course I just  had to whip up a batch so I could take a picture for you...ok well I'm sure there are plenty of pictures of fudge out floating around in cyberspace…but why pass up a perfect opportunity to make some for me? 

When I was a young girl ( a couple of years ago)  We only had fudge at Christmas.  My grandmother would get out the big black iron skillet put in some sugar and butter then sit at the table and chop up pecans while the butter melted.  She would then go back to the stove and stand over the skillet adding the rest of her magical ingredients and then slowly stirring the wonderful candy.  The smell that permeated the whole house was indescribably incredible.  She would then get a cup of water and drop some chocolate to see if a ball would form.  Then she knew it was ready to pour out.  She would spread a sheet of aluminum foil across the counter and pour the fudge across it to allow it to cool.  Then she would give me the stirring spoon to lick.


Once the candy cooled, she would cut it into small ( Too Small!) pieces and placed them in a foil lined metal tin to set on the counter along with all the other Christmas goodies.  Then I believe she stood guard over it so I couldn't sneak a piece or 3 before dinner!  

As the years went by she did more supervising instead of cooking, so I took over the candy making tradition.  As most of our family is no longer able to travel I will send it to them.  That's why it is best done at Christmas time, while the weather is cool and the candy doesn't melt.  Even though we may not always be able to be together, just sharing a bit of the Christmas fudge somehow brings us closer together.

I have changed recipes and now use this one, it's not quite as good as Granny's, but it never fails!  So...have some fudge today, and enjoy!  Oh, and no, I didn't keep all the fudge, I shared it with friends and family, Chocolate always tastes better when you share it with the ones you love!

Fudge:

Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 jar ( 7 ounces) marshmallow cream
12 squares semi-sweet Baker's chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions:
Bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil and a large saucepan.  Stir constantly until the temperature reaches 234 degrees.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate squares and marshmallow cream until mixed well.  Add vanilla and nuts.  Pour into foil lined pan and allow it to cool.  Cut into pieces and store in air tight container.  

Don't forget to lick the spoon!

2 comments:

  1. YUMM!! I love fudge! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are welcome! I hated that I had to make a batch just to take a picture....I was stuck eating all that fudge! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...