|Looks so inviting|
Some of my earliest memories as a child are of family gatherings, picnics, playing with family members and friends, eating water melon and spitting water melon seeds. These events just weren’t for us kids! The whole family young and old and everyone in between participated. It was here, spitting water melon seeds that a girl beat us guys. Talk about opening eyes and embarrassed by letting a girl beat us – as I got older, finally realizes that gender had little to do with anything. Those still remain fond and good memories.
|That's the idea young man!|
How to Spit Watermelon Seeds
Sure, spitting watermelon seeds may seem silly, but believe it or not, there is actually a trick to the trade. Participating in a contest or even simply hosting one can provide a light-hearted, entertaining outdoor activity.
|Look at that seed...|
Things You'll Need
- Watermelon seeds
Spitting the Seed
- Pick a large, black seed if you want to maximize your best spit. It's heavier, so there is a better chance it will bounce and skip once it hits the ground (making your seed go farther). Also, mature seeds are best because the heavier the seed, the better it handles wind or friction.
- Drink water right before you put the seed in your mouth to keep it moist. The seed is going to come out easier if it is moist rather than dry.
- Run up to the line to gain momentum for your spit. Any type of movement, such as spinning around before you spit, popping your head forward or running up, may help you to spit a more powerful seed.
- Tilt your head upward and blow hard. Get up to the starting line, and really let it go. You're definitely going to have a better chance at spitting a seed far if you get some air behind the seed.
- Last but not least, relax. Though you may feel awkward, relax, grin and bear it. There is no way you can look classy when you spit a watermelon seed, so if you loosen up, you're actually going to have a better shot at completing an aggressive spit.
Learn the Rules of the Game
- Do not go outside the boundaries. If you do, you are disqualified. Some spitways are at least 15 feet wide.
- Stand behind the starting line.
- Spit 2 seeds. Each contestant gets 2 spits, just in case one goes out of the bounds.
- Measure the seed that goes the farthest, and record it. After the last contestant spits, whoever has the farthest seed on the spitway, wins.
Tips & Warnings
- Some people roll their tongue while spitting the watermelon seed to get a stronger burst of air. To do so, make a shoot with your mouth for the seed to come out of, almost as if you're preparing to whistle.
- Do not cross the starting line when gaining momentum before you spit the seed. Remember to stay in bounds. If you're out of control and cross the starting line, you will be disqualified.
Read more: How to Spit Watermelon Seeds | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2177828_spit-watermelon-seeds.html#ixzz1Pw5SNkUg
So this weekend or over the 4th of July weekend, ice down a couple water melon, draw you boundaries and line and have some fun!!