Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cream Filled Donut Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

When I was in high school, I worked part time at the local grocery store.  I worked in nearly all the departments, from cashier, to stocking the shelves, unloading the trucks, produce, dairy and the deli department.  Working in the deli was the hardest challenge to me.  I lived in a small town, so we didn't have any big chain donut shops.  We made our own donuts fresh every day.  In the mornings when I entered the store for work, the smell of the freshly cooked donuts filled the air.  When I made my way to the department, there were nice hot donuts dripping with glaze waiting for me.

(Google Image) 
Along with the glazed donuts, we made chocolate covered, cinnamon twists, jelly filled and cream filled.  The bavarian cream filled were my favorite.  They were similar to chocolate éclairs which I regularly made for my uncle.  Instead of cutting the donut hole for the glazed donuts, we simply fried the whole donut, then filled a bag with the rich vanilla cream then squirted it inside the pastry.  Once filled, we covered the top with chocolate icing.  These delicious treats were very addictive, but after several months of working in the deli I had my fill of them.
(Google Image) 
After graduating from college, I stopped working at the grocery store, and no longer had access to the fresh hot donuts as easily as before.  I would have to go out of my way to find donuts again.  I had moved again to another small town with no large donut chains such as Krispy Kream or Dunkin Donuts. We do however have a local donut shop, and if I time it just right I can get there early enough to get some hot glazed donuts and top it off with a wonderful Bavarian cream chocolate covered donut, and reminense about my older days of donut making.
(Google Image) 
Today is Cream Filled Donut Day.  This day only comes once a year, so don't miss this opportunity to enjoy a delicious cream filled donut.  You can find them with vanilla cream, chocolate cream, even banana cream. So stop by your local donut shop and pick one or two up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...