Saturday, September 8, 2012

Teddy Bear Day - 2012 Update



(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

Oh baby let me be your lovin' teddy bear
Put a chain around my neck
And lead me anywhere
Oh let me be your lovin' teddy bear
I don't wanna be a tiger
'Cause tigers play too rough
I don't wanna be a lion'
Cause lions ain't the kind
you love enough

(Google Image) 
How could you   look at a cute little teddy bear and not imagine that they have been around forever?  Well in fact, they have only been around since the early 1900's.  They were invented as a result of a hunting trip here in Mississippi.  President Roosevelt, along with some other men, traveled to Mississippi to hunt bear.  One of Roosevelt's attendants had captured a bear cub and tied it so that the President could shoot it.  However, when Roosevelt saw this cub tied, he refused to shoot it, calling it unsportsman like.  News of this refusal hit the newspapers, and a cartoon was drawn, picturing the saving of the cub.  Morris Michtom saw the drawing of Roosevelt and the bear cub and was inspired to create a new toy. He created a little stuffed bear cub and put it in his shop window with a sign that read "Teddy's bear," after sending a bear to Roosevelt and receiving permission to use his name. The toys were an immediate success and Michtom founded the Ideal Novelty and Toy Co. And that was the beginning of the Teddy Bear.


Today, teddy bears are common everywhere, in fact, I can't imagine a single child who never had one at some time in their life.  I have given them to all my grandchildren and to my son and husband too.  They come in all sizes and colors, and can be very comforting as well as entertaining.
(Google Image) 
My husband and I frequently wrote little notes to each other, and while going through my box of notes I found a ransom note.   Apparently during Christmas, my husband received a bag of chocolate kisses for his stocking.  I had of course run out of chocolate, but my husband still had his unopened bag.  When I asked him to share, he refused, so I did the next best thing.  I kidnapped his teddy bear and held him for ransom!  I only asked for a few of the candy kisses, but he offered me the entire bag for the safe return of "Baby Bear".  It was a win-win situation and ended on a happy note.
(Google Image) 
Teddy bears are still as popular today.  There are Build-a-Bear stores where you can create your own bear, there are talking bears, cartoon bears, stories about bears, and even a new movie about a bear who comes to life. Teddy bears are carried around by police officers to help calm and comfort a child, and also found in hospitals for comfort.

(Google Image) 
Today is Teddy Bear Day.  These bears bring comfort and protection to our lives as well and encourage playfulness and imagination.  Why don’t you respond with some of your favorite Teddy Bear Memories today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...