Saturday, September 22, 2012

Dear Diary Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

When I was in school, one of my assignments over summer vacation was to write a diary.  Back then I wasn't too crazy about writing, and my life wasn't very exciting, so my diary was pretty thin.   After I began taking care of my husband, I started a nursing chart for him.  In the chart was a section called nursing notes.  It was in that section where I wrote about things that had changed, or new things that were going on.  This ended up being a very valuable record when proof was needed for the insurance company.   Over time you may forget details of important things you need to remember, so writing them down is a great way to refresh your memory.

Today is Dear Diary Day.  It’s the perfect day to start writing a diary of your own.  You can pick a certain topic to write about, such as your family, or a trip, a home repair project, love life, medical problems or just simply write about how your spend your days.  They are always nice to read over again.  This summer my aunt took a trip to San Francisco and England.  During these trips she wrote diaries of her experiences.  When she came to visit, she brought this diary’s to share with us, and also to remember the places she went to and things she had seen. (Accompanied with pictures too!)

(Google Image) 

I would like to share with you one of my favorite diary passages:


Dec 8. - It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first I've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rums and sat by the picture window. Watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful.

Dec 9. - We woke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in my life and I loved it. I did both the driveway and our sidewalk. Later, the city snowplow came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Dec 10. - It snowed an additional 6 inches last night and the temperature dropped to around 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled the driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snowplow came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now brownish-grey.

Dec 11. - Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my a_ _ in the driveway; $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected today.

Dec 12. - Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4x4 in order to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway and did considerable amount of damage to the rear quarter panel. Had another 8 inched of the white sh_ _ last night. both vehicles covered with salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That godd_ _ _ snow plow came by twice today.

Dec 13. - Two below zero outside! More fu_ _ _ _ _ snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put out the flames, but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands and lost my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid on the ice on way to emergency room and was totaled.

Dec 14. - Godd_ _ _ mother-fu_ _ _ _ _ white sh_ _ keeps coming down. Have to put on all the clothes I own just to get to the mailbox. If I ever catch that son-of-a-bi_ _ _ that drives the snowplow I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then comes down the street about 100 mph and buries our driveway again. Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof is starting to cave in.

Dec 15. - Six godd_ _ _ more fu_ _ _ _ _ inches of fu_ _ _ _ _ snow and fu_ _ _ _ _ sleet and fu_ _ _ _ _ ice and god knows what other kind of fu_ _ _ _ _ white sh_ _ fell last night. I wounded the fu_ _ _ _ _ snowplow a_ _hole with an ice axe but he managed to get away. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snow blind. I can't move my toes. Haven't seen the sun in weeks. More snow predicted. Wind chill is minus 22 fu_ _ _ _ _ degrees. I'm moving back to Florida.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...