By Terry Orr
Gun safety is a collection of rules and recommendations that can be applied when handling firearms. The purpose of gun safety is to eliminate or minimize the risks of unintentional death, injury or damage caused by improper handling of firearms.
Firearm Safety -- 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling:
- Always Keep the Muzzle Pointed In a Safe Direction;
- Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use;
- Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety";
- Be Sure Of Your Target and What's Beyond It;
- Use Correct Ammunition;
- If Your Gun Fails To Fire When the Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care;
- Always Wear Eye and Ear Protection When Shooting;
- Be Sure the Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions before Shooting;
- Don't Alter or Modify Your Gun, and Have Guns Serviced Regularly; and
- Learn the Mechanical and Handling Characteristics of The Firearm You Are Using.