By Diane Forrest
Today's work environment can be very stressful. Talks of lay-offs, downsizing, long hours and work overload can make things very tense. Today is a day to help ease those tensions and work stress. Today is Hug Your Boss Day. You shouldn't hug your boss in a creepy, sexual harassment sort of way, but just a nice friendly way to show that you appreciate your boss, and support his or her decisions, or most of them anyway.
One thing to determine is whether or not you have a good relationship with your boss. The following questions will help with that decision:
- Does your boss trust you?
- Do you trust your boss?
- Do you share personal stories and weekend activities?
- Do you work well with your boss? Are you productive?
- Do you know where you stand with your boss?
- Do you work towards the same goals?
- Do you socialize together?
- Can you speak to your boss openly about problems you have at work?
- Can you tell your boss a joke or funny story?
- Do you feel like you are both on the same side?
If you have determined that your relationship with your boss is not what you would like it to be. Give a hug. Think of ways you can make your relationship better and more productive in the work arena. Some ideas include:
- Understand the differences
- Be true to your word, Do the things you say you are going to
- Share not only the bad news with your boss, but also the good and positive news
Here are some suggestions of things to never say to your boss from the NHYBD website:
- Only 10 minutes to go!
- Be my friend on Facebook
- I don’t get paid enough for this
- I got so wasted last night
- That is not in my job description
- Does it matter if I don’t finish this
- It was not my fault!
- How much money do you earn?
- Yeah, Whatever!
- I hate this company and I want to leave
So today, on Hug your boss day, lighten the tension and give your boss a hug!