By Terry Orr
Everybody Deserves a Massage Week, July 14-20, 2013
Every year massage therapists and body workers nationwide lend their hearts and hands to raise awareness of the benefits of massage, bodywork, and somatic therapies.
There are various types of massage techniques and each has its own identified benefits of addressing stress, pain or it just simply enhance general well being. There are around 80 Massage therapy styles. Out of these 80, here under are the considered Top Ten Massage Techniques:
1. Swedish Massage - Swedish Massage or popularly known as classic massage is usually done using the hands, elbows and forearms to manipulate the superficial layers of the muscles. This kind of therapy can shorten recovery from muscular strain by eliminating uric acid, lactic acid and other metabolic waste by increasing the level of oxygen in the blood.
2. Sports Massage therapy - This is the ideal and famous massage therapy for athletes but is accordingly suitable for anyone who is undergoing chronic injury or pain or range of motion problems. It is a good or right choice if one has a specific problem sustained through sport – because this massage can improve circulation of lymph and blood fluids that allows optimum metabolic exchange.
3. Deep Tissue Massage – This kind of massage therapy style directly targets the deeper layers of connective and muscle tissue. The therapist usually employs slower frictions techniques or strokes to ease in and out of the muscle. It is required that before employing the therapy, muscles must be relaxed in order to effectively perform deep tissue massage.
4. Indian Head Massage – This is a type of Massage technique is popular in India and is said to be good at relieving insomnia, headaches, migraine, tension, sinusitis and stress. The treatment includes the use of deep kneading and compression movements over the head and other related parts of the head.
5. Reflexology Massage – This is otherwise known as zone therapy which is based on the concept that there are reflex areas in the feet and hands that corresponds to specific glands, specific organs, and other parts of the body. This massage therapy involves the manipulation of specific reflex areas in the hands, foot and ears that correspond to other parts of the body. Pressure is usually being applied to the so called reflex zones to stimulate body organs and relieve areas of congestion.
6. Shiatsu – This massage technique was developed and originated in Japan. It is accomplished by utilizing finger pressure technique on a particular traditional acupuncture points. It works similarly with acupressure by unblocking the flow of life energy and rejuvenates balance in the organs and meridians in order to ensure self-healing.
7. Hot Stone Massage –This type of massage therapy is accomplished by placing smooth stones on certain point of the body to warm, loosen tight muscles and balance the energy centers in the body. Hot stone massage is a good choice for people who have muscle tension but prefers light massage.
8. Neuromuscular Massage – This kind of massage therapy works to reduce muscle pain by stimulating circulation of blood that goes to the nervous system. This kind of treatment involves using static pressure on a particular area called a trigger point but it does not involve the massage of the whole body.
9. Pregnancy Massage – This kind of muscle technique works similarly with Swedish massage but is usually carried out with the mother on her side using pillows to position her body at her most comfortable position. It is employed to ease some of the discomforts that are associated with pregnancy such as swelling of muscles, legs and joint aches or reduced normal circulation of blood.
10. Aromatherapy Massage – The muscle therapy is accomplished by using essential oils (extracted from flowers, herbs, woods, resin and roots) in the body and in the skin. Each of this oil has unique benefits and features. The oils are use for therapeutic reasons and not just for fragrance. Scented oils are applied directly to the body depending on the need.
So do yourself a favor a get a nice massage this week and every week!!
[Photos from Google]