Friday, July 26, 2013

AUNTS AND UNCLES - CELEBRATION



By Diane Forrest

A few days ago we celebrated Cousin's Day.  That day wouldn't be possible without our Aunts and Uncles.  These are the brothers and sisters of our parents and their spouses.  My mother has one sister.  I remember spending a lot of time with her when I was younger.  She is a schoolteacher and would give us "kits" to put together to occupy our time and hands, and exasperate my father.  She got married late in life, or so it seemed at the time.  She was in her 30's, had moved to Texas, and then started having children of her own.  Her visits became less frequent, but still very special each time she came with her family.

Tragically her husband, my uncle, died suddenly and unexpectantly, and his death not only broke our hearts, but also changed the amount of time we got to spend with her and her daughters.  Fortunately we can still talk by phone or email and keep in touch that way.
My Father has a brother and a sister.  His sister, my aunt, is more like a second mother to me.  I grew up around her and her family, and am still as close to her today as always, and I can call her any time and know she will be there to listen to my problems or cheer me up.

His brother also moved to Texas, so spending time with him was infrequent.  I recently went to visit him in Texas after the sudden and unexpected death of his wife, my aunt.  She had fallen and hit her head on the concrete garage at their home, the day before they were planning to come here to visit me for my birthday.  She remained in the hospital for the rest of the month, and I had planned to visit, however she passed away before I got the chance.

According to holidayinsites.com, Our Aunts and Uncles mean a lot to us. Among other things, they are most likely:
  • The backup caretaker when mom and dad go out, or are at work.
  • Real characters at family get-togethers and events.
  • Someone we can talk to and related to – some things we just can talk about with "parental units".
  • Sound counsel and advice.
  • Someone who takes you to fun places and events.
  • Someone whose house is a great place to sleepover, especially if you have cousins.
  • The ones who give you great presents for birthdays, Christmas and special events.
  • And, the benefits of Aunts and Uncles go on, and on, and on



Today is Aunt and Uncle Day.  If you are able, visit them while you still can, or give them a call or even email.  Let them know what a special place they have in your life, and even if time, distance and other obligations may prevent you from visiting, they are never far from your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...