Wednesday, July 3, 2013

COURAGE OF YOUR CONVICTIONS



By Diane Forrest


I was born in May, which makes me a Taurus according to the Zodiac calendar.  As you may or may not know bulls are very stubborn animals and somehow I possess that quality as well, although my daddy would probably claim that I'm more like a bull in a China shop.  I was raised a certain way with certain beliefs, and it takes a good strong argument to make me change my opinion.  I guess that’s why I did so well in Debate club in high school.  I believe in God, Country and fairness to all. In Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  While I may not believe in the current issue of Gay Marriage, I do believe that under the contract of marriage, all should have the benefits that accompany that contract such as tax benefits, insurance benefits and other legal obligations.
I believe in free speech, but I do not consider some of these acts being performed today (burning the flag, Westborough Church, and offensive language) under the guise of first amendment – they are not what our forefathers intended.
I believe in the golden rule, not the one that says he who has the gold makes the rules, but the one that says “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
I also believe that while you may believe what you say or do is right, I also believe it takes more than just one person's view to change something, for example, if you don't believe in school praying, then don't participate, but don't keep those who do want to pray from praying. One of my favorite quotes from a book called Life's Instructions Book is "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and it’s All Small Stuff!!!"
So if you believe in something strongly, by all means fight for it with all your might, just make sure the battle is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...