Saturday, June 2, 2012

Clean Air Month


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

When I first moved to Natchez, there was a terrible smell in the air.  It smelled like rotten eggs.  I came to find out that the smell was coming from the Paper Mill.  You could smell it from miles around, and every time a visitor would ask "What's that smell?” the home folks would reply, "That's the smell of money!"  While it was true the paper mill supplied many jobs to the area, and filtered alot of money through the community, the pollution it put out was damaging too many people's health.  The paper mill shut down several years ago, but people here still remember that awful smell.
(Google Image) 
A friend of mine has very bad allergies.  They cause him to sneeze uncontrollably, and his nose stays red from blowing.  He thinks the solution to his problem is to empty out his room, clean, paint and install an air cleaner.  Start over all fresh and new.  I'm not sure if that will help his allergies, but once his job is complete I will see how effective it is.  My husband had a very sensitive nose, could smell anything from a mile away.  I guess that's why I have 4 air cleaners in my home.  2 in one room!
(Google Image) 

This is clean air month.  Clean air, is air which has a natural balance of gases such as oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Clean air does not contain pollutants or allergens. Clean air does not harm the environment, nor is it a cause or trigger of health problems.
(Google Image) 
Poor quality air can harm the environment and can affect us all. Toxic air pollution is linked to serious conditions such as cancer and chronic bronchitis. Air pollution can exacerbate pre-existing conditions such as asthma.  Air pollution can also harm the environment. The burning of fossil fuels (often for transport or electricity generation) releases high levels of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere. These gases react with other gases and water to create rain which is acidic.
(Google Image) 
Ways you can participate include using your car less, and walking or riding a bike more.  Not only is it good for the air, but also good for your body too.  Limit use of aerosol spray cans and don't douse yourself in cologne or perfume.   I know a couple who have worn their perfume for so long, they can no longer smell it, so they put more and more on.  When I worked in the hospital we were encouraged not to apply perfume as it may be irritating to some patients.  One of my personal biggest causes of air pollution is my cooking.  My husband used to say he knew when supper was ready when the smoke detector went off.  So I have decided to do my part this month and cook as little as possible!

What things can you do to cut down on air pollution and help clean the air?

1 comment:

  1. The information provided for healthy living improving indoor air quality along with the video is presented nicely. Thanks for sharing the information.

    Duct Cleaning Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...