Sunday, June 3, 2012

National Barefoot Day


Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."

By Diane Forrest

(Google Image) 

I hate shoes!  The second I walk in my house, off they come.  I wouldn't even wear them outside, but my feet are so tender that I have to.  I’m also very ticklish, which is an inconvenience when you are barefoot, and you have family around who wants to torture you.  I love the summer, because you can wear sandals and flip flops and it’s almost like being barefoot.  I don't like the term barefoot and pregnant though, because that makes me think that women are only useful if they have babies and stay at home.
(Google Image) 

Today is National Barefoot Day.  It serves two purposes.  It allows people like me, who hate shoes, to be free of them for a day without feeling the guilt of not wearing shoes.  It also puts the spotlight one people who don't wear shoes because they have none.  There are approximately 1.5 billion people in the world who don't have shoes.  This day is being promoted by Soles for Souls, an organization that helps to provide shoes to those who are without.  There are week long activities such as marathons, shoe drives, fun runs & walkathons, retail trade-in events, concerts, festivals and more.
(Google Image) 

How you can participate is to donate shoes you no longer wear, and if you are in the need of new shoes, I would like to suggest TOMS shoes.  For every pair you purchase, they donate a pair.
(Google Image) 

So...today, relax, kick off your shoes and go barefoot, but keep in mind those who don't have any shoes, and check out this site for more information on ways you can help.  http://www.soles4souls.org/get_involved/barefootweek2011.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...