By Chef Terry
Eating your Veggie Day is always celebrated on June 17th and was strategically created in the middle of National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month; this day is the perfect opportunity to re-introduce a healthy portion of vegetables into your diet. No doubt about it, Eat Your Vegetables Day was created to promote a more healthy diet.......for life!
Eat Your Vegetables: 15 Tips for Veggie Haters (from WebMD):
- Tip No. 1: Add veggies you almost like to dishes you already love;
- Tip No. 2: Try them in soup;
- Tip No. 3: Slip them into salads;
- Tip No. 4: Serve them raw;
- Tip No. 5: Take raw vegetables skinny dipping;
- Tip No. 6: Sneak them into spaghetti and pizza;
- Tip No. 7: Drink your vegetables;
- Tip No. 8: Increase the fun factor;
- Tip No. 9: Grill, baby, grill;
- Tip No. 10: Know how to cook the stronger flavored veggies;
- Tip No. 11: Try them where you least expect them;
- Tip No. 12: Be sensitive to textural turn-offs;
- Tip No. 13: Even fast-food vegetables count;
- Tip No. 14: Don't reward your kids (or yourself) for eating vegetables; and
- Tip No. 15: It's all about the cheese.
Remember parents – we set the example for our children by our actions!! Ensure you make vegetable an important part of your meals and snacks. Along the way, you tell your kids a little about the importance of vegetables for a long and healthy life.
The next time you think you don't have the time to eat properly, remember that vegetables are among the most convenient foods around. You can cook most vegetables in just a few minutes if you steam, stir-fry, or microwave them.