Tuesday, June 12, 2012

National Little League Baseball Week - 2012



(Google Image) 
By Terry Orr

In 1959, on the 20th Anniversary of the founding of Little League Baseball, President Dwight D. Eisenhower designated the week beginning the second Monday of June as National Little League Baseball Week, honoring Little League's encouragement of young people "to develop a feeling of fair play, community spirit and respect for the discipline of rules and decisions."
(Google Image) 

For as long as I can remember, Baseball (this includes at all levels and softball (both fast pitch and slow pitch) has been my favorite sport.  As a kid playing baseball, then later both fast & slow pitch softball, coaching little league kids, and watching all types of ballgames and weekend tournaments.  These days, I generally have at least one ballgame on TV during the evening – sound muted while working on blog articles or reading a book.
(Google Image) 

Baseball is one of those sports you’re an enjoy your entire life and helps children learn how to play well with others, learn that it is a game and losing is not all that bad – tho well all like to win, but it helps us learn and become better people.  If you play the game, do your best – then you have done well.
(Google Image) 

The Little League Pledge was written by Peter J. McGovern, the late president of Little League Baseball, in 1954. It made its first appearance in the February 1955 "Little Leaguer" magazine. Its text has remained unchanged in the half-century since then

The Pledge:

I trust in God
I love my country
And will respect its laws
I will play fair
And strive to win
But win or lose
I will always do my best

My grandson Jake
(He is really very good)

(Google Image)

My grandson Jake & Team Mates

Bobby Orr

Links:
http://www.littleleague.org/Little_League_Online.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...