Monday, June 11, 2012

Red Rose Day


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

I remember the first time I ever got a rose.  I was in high school, and to raise money for the cheerleaders, they sold roses to be delivered during class.  You could always tell who the popular girls were, they were the ones with all the roses.  The different color of the rose had its own meaning.  A white rose was for a secret admirer, a yellow was for friendship.  Pink roses meant appreciation, or admiration, but the red rose meant love.
(Google Image) 

To me, one single long stemmed red rose was more special than all the roses in the store.  That said to me that I'm thinking of you and I love you, and you are the only one for me.  There are few things more beautiful than America's favorite flower, the red rose.  Over the years I have received many other red roses, each one just as special as the others.  I had red roses in my wedding bouquet, and I laid one beside my husband as he laid in his rose covered casket.
(Google Image) 

I remember the feeling in high school when I got my rose, so when my son was in school I wanted him to have the same feeling, so I sent him one from me, one from his dad, and one from a secret admirer, to make sure he knew he was loved, and to make other kids wonder who his secret admirer was.
(Google Image) 

Today is Red Rose Day.  A June setting for Red Rose Day is very appropriate, as this is by far the most popular month for weddings. And, they are in bloom in the gardens across America this month. In addition to being the most popular cut flower, roses are also the most popular flower in flower beds and around foundation of houses, garages and sheds. They are easy to grow, producing a bounty of sweet scented flowers from June up to the first frost.
(Google Image) 

Why not stop by your local florist or Wal-Mart or grocery store and pick up some red roses to give to your loved ones, and if you need a little extra help with what to say to your true love, here is a poem to use by Robert Burns


A Red, Red Rose
O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only Luve
And fare thee well, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.
Robert Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...