Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sunglasses Day


Audrey Davis
(Terry's Granddaughter) 
By Diane Forrest
Kendall
(Diane's Granddaughter) 
My granddaughter, pictured above, loves wearing sunglasses.....upside down!  Sunglasses are not only a cool accessory, but also a necessity to keep harmful u-v rays out of your eyes.  I never wore them when I was young, and never thought about them for my son when he was young, but now I see them more and more on people of all ages.  When I was going through my Marilyn Monroe phase I found some great large white rimmed sunglasses, but my son thought they were goofy, so I didn’t wear them much.

Kendall
(Diane's Granddaughter) 
My husband always had trouble finding sun glasses too.  He wore prescription glasses, and tried several things, he tried the ones that fit over his glasses, but they were just too large and clunky.  Then he tried just the lenses, that clipped onto his glasses, but he didn't like those either.  He finally took an old pair of glasses, and had them tinted.  That proved to be the best solution for him.
Kendall
(Diane's Granddaughter) 
Eye protection is hardly a new concept. In fact, long ago, Inuit peoples would shape walrus ivory into flattened circles with narrow openings. They were able to see out of these tiny slits, while the rest of their eyes remained shielded from the sun.  In 1752, the first tinted sunglasses were made. Then in 1929, the entrepreneur Sam Foster mass-produced the modern version.  I remember long ago watching advertisements about Who's behind those Foster Grant's?

Sunglasses protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. Your Optician will tell you that sunglasses with UV protection, will help to avoid cataracts. They also report that UV rays can be stronger in the winter, as the sun's rays hit you on the way down....and as it is reflected back up from the snow.  Sunglasses come in many colors and styles, from inexpensive to very expensive.  Some of the higher prices ones include Ray Ban's and Oakley, Gucci and Prada.  The main requirement they should have is that they block the U-V light rays from your eyes.
(Google Image) 
Today is Sunglasses day, so make sure you don't leave home without them.  Here are some other reasons people wear sunglasses:
  • You want to be a movie star and they all wear sunglasses.
  • You're looking to hide behind a big, dark pair of sunglasses, and travel unseen through the streets.
  • A little espionage, eh!?
  • You want to make a fashion statement.


(Google Image) 

And, Oh yes.... A few of us wear sunglasses to protect our eyes from the harmful rays of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...