Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Celebrating Animal Crackers



Animal crackers in my soup
Monkeys and rabbits loop the loop
Gosh oh gee but I have fun
Swallowing animals one by one
In every bowl of soup I see
Lions and Tigers watching me
I make 'em jump right through a hoop
Those animal crackers in my soup
When I get hold of the big bad wolf
I just push him under to drown
Then I bite him in a million bits
And I gobble him right down
When their inside me where it's dark
I walk around like Noahs Arc
I stuff my tummy like a goop
With animal crackers in my soup
Animal crackers in my soup
Do funny things to me
They make me think my neighborhood
Is a big menagerie
For instance there's our Janitor
His name is Mr. Klein
And when he Hollers at us kids
He reminds me of a Lion

By Diane Forrest



I love watching Shirley Temple movies, and the above is a song she sang in one of them, you can watch it by clicking here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= cntYIkuthYg

I have always loved animal crackers.  I liked having my own little box of cookies and carrying it around like a purse.  It always made me feel special.  Animal crackers first went on sale as "Barnum’s Animals" in 1902 and came in a circus train-themed box with a string, so you could hang them on the Christmas tree. They cost only 5 cents a box.  However, according to punchbowl.com, animal-shaped crackers were first brought to the United States during the late 1800’s. The demand for these treats skyrocketed so bakers began to produce them domestically.

Stauffer's Biscuit Company was the first company to produce animal crackers in 1871 in York, Pennsylvania. Other local bakeries soon came together under the National Biscuit Company, or "Nabisco Brands."  Since the start, there have been 37 different animals featured in the box at one time or another.

Today is National Animal Crackers Day, so why not grab a box at your local store to enjoy, you can gobble them up while watching Shirley Temple sing about them, or maybe you can find the movie Animal Crackers with the Marx Brothers and just laugh the day away!
(All images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...