Sunday, April 21, 2013

Do You Remember Kindergarten?

Google Image

By Diane Forrest

It’s been a few years now since I was in Kindergarten, but I still remember some of the things I did.  Above is a picture of me dressed as a pregnant lady, and another of me on the stage.  I remember this was my first public solo, and I sang:

A-tisket a-tasket
A green and yellow basket
I wrote a letter to my love
And on the way I dropped it

I dropped it, I dropped it
Yes, on the way I dropped
A little girlie picked it up
And took it to the market

This was also the time I had my first boy friend.  His name was John, and he always wanted to sit by me during story time.  This is an important time in a young child's life.  Not only do they learn basic educational tools such as colors, shapes, and the alphabet, but they also learn how to interact with other children, sometimes even forming life long friendships.  My son went to the same school from kindergarten to high school, and spent most of his life with some of the same people he started with.


According to holidayinsites.com, Kindergarten Day is celebrated in honor of Friedrich Froebel. He was born on this day in 1782. In 1837, he started the first Kindergarten in Germany. It became popular quickly. Kindergartens were originally a 1/2-day to get children acclimated into learning, social interaction, and school, in a fun, yet educational manner. Kindergarten has evolved in most areas into a full time program. This is partly the result of increasing pressures on education, and partly due to the increase in working mothers in America.


Today is Kindergarten Day, why not pull out your old photo albums and look at your pictures to see how much you have changed, if you don’t have any, maybe you can color a picture or make a play-doh model!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...