By Diane Forrest
Since spring has sprung, there are a few things you need to do to your home now, to prevent any damage later. You have cleaned up the inside now I’m sure, since spring cleaning day was last month, and with the great weather and spring fever now is the time that many of us start cleaning up our winter debris and making plans for our home projects. Here are a few tips on spring updates to help you get the most out of the season.
- Check for loose or damaged gutters. Poor drainage systems can result in water damage to your basement or crawlspace.
- Check your roof for winter damage. Wind, ice, and snow can be harsh on your roof.
- Have your chimney cleaned and checked for damages by a licensed chimney sweep.
- Remove firewood stored close to the house. Properly stored, firewood would be at least 2 feet from the structure and 18 inches off of the ground.
- Check your outdoor faucets for winter damage.
- Have your air conditioning units cleaned and serviced for the upcoming season.
- Inspect concrete slabs for damage and movement, take the steps necessary to fill in cracks and seal surfaces
- Inspect wood trim around windows doors and railings for damage. Make repairs before spring rains create further damage.
Possibly this spring your attention is also being pulled to larger projects. Maybe your finally installing that pool you’ve been thinking about, redoing a kitchen or bathroom or even planning an addition to the house. Some projects both small and large can affect your homeowner’s insurance. If you have projects in mind, give your agent a call to be sure that you have the proper coverage in place.
After you spend a weekend or two getting your house in tip top shape, it will be time to sit back and enjoy the summer, sitting outside and swatting mosquitoes. Let us know if you have any other spring home improvement tips.
(All images from Google)