Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Happy Ford Mustang Day



By Diane Forrest

When I turned 15, my brother and I were still having visits from Santa on Christmas morning, but on this year, the presents he brought could not be placed under the tree.  So, it was that year that we were introduced to Santa Bunny.  When my brother and I ran down the stairs, I was disappointed to only see our stockings hung on the mantle.  On closer inspection, we saw a letter to each of us taped besides our stocking.  We were instructed to wake up our parents and they would give us a clue to send us on our present hunt.
Santa Bunny left us the first clue with our parents, then when we located the gift, attached to it was the clue for the next gift.  We had to bring them all in front of the tree before we opened the gift, and it was a great way to start the day.  My last clue told me to look in the yard; there was something for one, but to be shared by 2.  Attached is what I found in the yard, my very first car!!! a 1967 Mustang!  I was supposed to share it with my brother, but thankfully he bought he own truck a couple of weeks later, so I never had to share.
My “Uncle Jack” for his two daughters who used it to go back and forth to college originally bought this car.  When I started to drive, he was going to just give it to my father, however, my daddy couldn't accept such a gift without paying for it, so, they settled on a price.  Five Cents!! And believe me, it was worth every penny.  I drove that car for many years, until I threw a rod, and the engine had to be replaced.  If that car could talk!
In 1984 I entered it in the first of several Mustang Rally's that were held in my hometown.  This was not a race, but a car show.  The week before the rally, I was involved in a minor accident, this brick mailbox jumped out in front of me and the front side panel was a bit crushed, but not as crushed as I was.  I had been spending weeks getting it ready for the show, cleaning and washing, and removing every speck of dirt, only to have my dreams smashed!  While it could not be repaired in a short amount of time, my father simply covered it with brown wrapping paper and drew a Band-Aid on it.   I entered it in the show, and even took home a trophy in my category!  I had it changed from the original color to candy apple red and changed the black top to white.  It was a great car.
Today is Ford Mustang Day.  According to history.com, Henry Ford II at the World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows, New York, officially unveils The Ford Mustang, a two-seat, mid-engine sports car, on April 17, 1964. That same day, the new car also debuted in Ford showrooms across America and buyers immediately snapped up almost 22,000 Mustangs. Most new cars are released in fall of the year titled for the next year, so the first Mustang was titled a ’64 1/2.  Named for a World War II fighter plane, the Mustang was the first of a type of vehicle that came to be known as a “pony car.” Ford sold more than 400,000 Mustangs within its first year of production, far exceeding sales expectations.
To celebrate the day, drive by your nearest Ford dealership and take one for a test drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...