By Terry Orr
Today is National Walk Day! Walking is a gentle, low-impact exercise that can ease you into a higher level of fitness and health. Walking is a form of exercise accessible to just about everybody. It's safe, simple and doesn't require practice. And the health benefits are many. Walking can help you:
- Lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
- Raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
- Lower your blood pressure
- Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes
- Manage your weight
- Improve your mood
- Stay strong and fit
The good news –
- You can walk anywhere, anytime, and as long as you want!
- You can walk listening to your tunes or just enjoying nature sounds.
- You can walk with others or by your self.
- You can set your own pace and distance.
So what are you waiting for? Get out of that chair and take an enjoyable stroll.
References and Links: