Friday, January 4, 2013

National Bird Day - 2013 Update


(Google Image)


By Diane Forrest

My husband loved birds.  Every year for Christmas he always got some type of bird gift.  He got feeders, books, there is a clock sitting behind my computer screen that chimes with a different bird call every hour. Not long after we were married, he adopted two cockatrices.  He would spend hours watching them, and trying to each them to talk.  He would put a seed on his lips so they could pluck it off and eat.
Dave's Bird
After his injury, the care and cleaning after them became too much for him, and since I worked 12 hours a day, I was not able to help, so he was forced find another home for them.  However his love for birds never diminished.  He could be found every winter keeping the many bird feeders in our back yard full of food.  I still see his love for birds all around the house.  One of the last gifts he got the Christmas before he died is a small red bird statue that is covered with feathers.  I look at it every night.
(Google Image)
When I picked out the plot at the cemetery for his final resting place, I chose the one right across from the pen that houses peacocks.  It is also next to the beautiful duck pond, and nearly every time I visit I can see the ducks walking around the area.
(Google Image)
Today is National Bird day.  National Bird Day was established by bird activists. It calls upon people to recognize the plight of captive birds. It also draws attention to exploitation of birds in the U.S. pet industry. On this day, organizers suggest we reflect upon the conditions of birds held in captivity.   Taking care of birds is a big responsibility.  They have to be fed a proper diet, and their area must be cleaned constantly.
(Google Image)
For more information about National Bird Day, and ways you can help educate others visit this site:  http://www.nationalbirdday.com/

(Google Image)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...